Wednesday 1 February 2012

A Photo An Hour - Tuesday 31st January 2012

Hi everyone! This idea struck me after seeing similar posts on various blogs I follow, and thought it would be an interesting way to shake up the kinds of posts I've been making lately.

My alarm goes off at 7am and I snap this photo of the view out of the little window above my bed. I stay huddled in my doona for another 45 minutes.

8am.
Breakfast time. This is pretty much my go-to breakfast: porridge made with soy milk, with some crushed walnuts/almonds and a sliced banana on top. I have it with a glass of generic brand Berocca as it's been pretty cold/cloudy the past few days and I wanna keep my Vit B + C levels up.

9am and I'm on to the computer: Facebookin' and sending emails.

10am is time for me to unleash my inner housewife and put a (long-overdue) wash on.

11am sees me at my local Asda, debating which soy milk to buy. I got for the cheapest.


QUICK INTERRUPTION: at 11:30am, on the way home from the shops it started snowing. It wasn't heavy, but it was a first in my life, so I enjoyed it. I grinned like a loon all the way home.

12 noon.
Chatting to a friend on facebook, and marking things off my to-do list. The to-do list looks blank thanks to over-exposure, but I can assure you there is stuff on there! (And some of it is even crossed off).

1pm.
Time for lunch! Tofu-veg-noodle stir fry in a homemade satay sauce. I had this for lunch the day before and it was just too good not to have again real soon. It might even be for lunch today...

2pm.
Finished lunch, still on facebook (I'm sensing a theme here) and trying to organise in my head when I need to be at uni. It now comes to my attention that a seminar that I need to go to and an optional art history lecture that I want to go to are pretty much at the same time. Ho hum. Also: I'm keeping an eye on the weather outside in case it snows again.

3pm.
Brushing mah teeth, getting ready to leave.

4pm.
Waiting for my art history lecture to start.

5pm.
The end of the lecture. I missed a good portion of the lecture though, because I left to go and see if that other class was on. It wasn't. It'll be on next week. On Thursday. Maybe. So I got back just in time to jot down two points and then be dismissed.

6pm.
Back home. My bike has a flat that I haven't fixed and the bus was going to be a whopping 12minutes wait. It was cold, but I much prefer moving to waiting, so I walked home. My major extremities protested a little, but overall it was a nice walk home. Relaxed/warmed up with a class o' wine when I got inside.

7pm.
Trip planning.

8pm.
Still on the laptop (sigh). Booking a trip to Brighton for the 24-26 Feb. Hell looking forward to it. My main motivation for visiting this seaside town? Food. I know barely anything else about Brighton other than that it has a decent selection of vegan food, and I plan on gorging myself silly on any and everything there is on offer when I get there.

9pm.
Doing a bit of light reading in bed, making notes in my visual diary. I'm reading about the Dada movement, as their use of text is relevant to my project for this year.

I went to bed not long after this but it took me a while to get to sleep. I have a photo from 10pm out of that same little window from the 7am picture but to be honest it's so dark I can't even tell which way around it's suppose to go. So I'll spare you.

Doing this project was supposed to show you all what 'a day in the life' was like for me over here. It's a little boring/mundane (and I hate how many of these photos involve the laptop. I'm living my life in front of a screen, trying to hang on to home, when there's an amazing world right outside my front door), but that's life. This is me. I stay in my comfort zone while simultaneously trying to get outside of it. While I may have spent a good portion of the day in front of the laptop, I was also pretty productive (for me): I joined the gym at my uni. I organised my semester 2 units for when I get back to Australia. Booked a weekend getaway to Brighton (lol, almost wrote 'Britain'). Started planning my Europe travels for when my semester here finishes. Sent emails, booked importance appointments. I may have a laptop instead of a left hand, but that's ok. I'm going to try and 'get out' more often, perhaps even break my habit of going on the laptop first thing in the morning. We'll see.

Hope all is well over in Perth-town.
-Cathryn.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cathryn,
    What a great way to give us a sense of your day and to feel close! Of course I love all that great vegan food you are showing us! You are looking well and obviously doing all you can to adjust to a whole new way of living and being. We are all very proud of you and looking forward to sharing in the adventure with you.
    Stay warm and thank you for the photos...they are great!
    Much love,
    Aunty Gypsxox

    ReplyDelete