Wednesday 25 April 2012

Work In Progress Wednesday! (again)

Hi everyone! Welcome to my second, and last, WIPW :)

It's my last post about my uni-related work because assessment is next week and after that I'm heading home (via Scotland and continental Europe), so I won't be working on this project until July, when I start my second semester of uni back in Australia. I think I'll try and keep this blog updated during my travels, but once I'm back in Australia for the foreseeable future, I will 'book-end' the blog with a round-up post of sorts and then it'll fade into obscurity in the frothy backwaters of the Internet. And that's good for me because it means I get hipster points by being able to claim ownership over something that not a lot of people know about. Ha!

Anyway, onwards: since I gave a brief introduction to my art project in my last WIPW post (which you can read here), I feel it pointless to rehash it in full again in this one. Instead, here's a bunch of photos of different things I have made/am currently working on, with a few details



The above project is a a bit of a deviation from my main body of work (as it's not strictly printmaking and I'm using the words differently), but nevertheless very important to my own personal preconceptions about how to use and consider text. I picked up a Russian newspaper by accident a few weeks ago on a night out, and it was one of those 'happy mistakes' that happen so often during the creative process. I can recognise that these are words, but because they're in another language that I've never even attempted to learn, I can't understand them. This detachment of understanding then allows me to consider them from a more aesthetic point of view. As I arrange them in this collage, it becomes more about the slant or boldness of the text, not about it's readability. This lens is something I would like to continue to use within the rest of my project.


Screen print + handwriting + cut and rearranged.


I've started trying to be a bit more controlled in my screen printing. With the first prints I made, I didn't really care about where the print ended up on the page. But, as this project is becoming more and more about the aesthetic, I'm now being a bit more decisive about composition. I think I'm starting to see words as more of a 'means to an end', rather than subject matter.


Above is an experiment in layering and transparency. Printed and handwritten words on fabric. I used 3 different fabrics, each with a different density and type of thread, and this is the one I liked the most. This is also an attempt at injecting humour into my work: see how the printed words are 'hand written' and the hand written word is 'printed'? 

At least we know that if this art business falls through, I'll always have a career in comedy to fall back on. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment